Uskudar [Roumdja: Chrysòpolis: Goldencity, Mediaeval: Scutari > Ottoman & Turkish: Uskudar]: It is a large and densely populated district of Istanbul, on the Anatolian shore of the Bosphorus right opposite the heart of the great city, next to Kadıkoy. It is home to about half a million people. Uskudar was a city in Bithyniab Kingdom founded in the 7th century BC, in a valley leading down to the Bosphorus shore, by the inhabitants of the Greek colony of Khalkedon [means in Ancient Greek: The Land of Blinds, Todays Kadikoy] and was first known as Chrysopolis [city of Gold] [perhaps because it was a wealthy little port, or because of the way it shone when viewed from Byzantium at sunset]. The city was used as a harbour and shipyard and was an important staging post in the wars between the Greeks and Persians. In 410 BC Chrysopolis was walled by the Athenian general Alcibiades. As its larger and more important neighbor across the Bosphorus grew, the town became a toll-booth for the Bosphorus and later became the first point of defence of Eastern Roman [Byzantine] against the Ottoman armies. Eastern Roman [Byzantine] armies were stationed here, but to no avail; by the time Constantinople was conquered by the Ottomans [in 1453] Uskudar had already been in Turkish hands for 100 years. In the Ottoman period Uskudar was one of the three communities outside the city walls [along with Eyup and Galata]. The area was a major burial ground, and today many large cemeteries remain including Karacaahmet Mezarligi [Cemetery], Bulbulderesi Mezarligi [Cemetery], and a number of Jewish and Christian Cemeteries. Karacaahmet Mezarligi [Cemetery] is one of Istanbul's largest cemeteries. Bulbulderesi Mezarligi [Bulbulderesi Cemetery] is said to be the favoured burial place of the Sabetay [Sebatai Sevi, Sebatai Zwi] Community, including the educator Semsi Efendi; this cemetery is next to Fevziye Hatun Mosque, also said to be a Centre of Sabetay Culture.
Kabatas [Kabatash]: It is a quarter in the European part of Istanbul, on Bogazici [Bosphorus], Turkey.
Taksim Square [Arabic > Ottoman > Turkish: Taksim Meydanı: Water Distribution Point Square]: It is situated in the European part of Istanbul, Turkey, is a major shopping, tourist and leisure district famed for its restaurants, shops and hotels. It is considered the heart of modern Istanbul, and is the location of the Cumhuriyet Anıtı [Republic Monument], which was built in 1928 and commemorates the formation of the Turkish Republic. Taksim, from Arabic [taqṣīm] means [division] or [distribution]. The Taksim Square was originally the point where the main water lines from the north of Istanbul were collected and branched off to other parts of the city [hence the name]. This use for the area was established by Sultan Mahmud I. The square takes its name from the stone reservoir which is located in this area. Additionally, the word "Taksim" can refer to a special improvisational musical form in Turkish Classical Music that is guided by the Makam System.
Beyoğlu [Roumdja: περάν ην συκάις: Pera[n en Sykais: The Fig Field on the Other Side]: It is a district located on the European side of Istanbul, Turkey, separated from the old city [historic peninsula of Constantinople] by the Halic [Golden Horn]. It was known as Pera in the Middle Ages, and this name remained in common use until the early 20th century and the establishment of the Turkish Republic. The district encompasses other neighborhoods located north of the Golden Horn, including Galata [the medieval Genoese citadel from which Beyoglu itself originated), Karakoy, Cihangir, Sishane, Tepebasi, Tarlabasi, Dolapdere and Kasimpasa, and is connected to the old city center across the Golden Horn through the Galata Bridge and Unkapani Bridge. Beyoglu is the most active art, entertainment and night life centre of Istanbul.
The main street from Taksim Square towards German Hospital down to Kabastas in Istanbul.
Galatasaray Lisesi [Galata Sarayı Enderun-u Humayunu: Galatasaray School of the Sultans, Galatasaray Mekteb-i Sultanisi: Lycée de Galatasaray, Galata Palace Imperial School]: It is one of the most influential high schools of modern Turkey. Established in 1481, it is the oldest Turkish high school in Istanbul and the second-oldest Turkish educational institution in the city after Istanbul University which was established in 1453. Being an Anatolian High School, access to the school is open to students with a high Nationwide High School Entrance score. Galatasaray Football Club, which would go on to win the UEFA Cup in football in the year 2000, was formed in this institution with initial players all being members of the school. The name Galatasaray means Galata Palace, as the school is located near Galata, the medieval Genoese citadel at the north of the Golden Horn, also known as Pera [Roumdja: Peran en Sykais: The Other side of Figtrees]. Since the 19th century, the name "Pera" refers to the larger borough of Beyoglu which includes the Galata [Roumdja: means either Galaktos: Milk or Galatians: Celtics todays French Tribes] district.
Cicek Pasaji [Cité de Péra: Pera Apartment literally Flower Passage in Turkish]: Originally called the Cité de Péra, is a famous historic passage [galleria or arcade] on Istiklal Avenue in the Beyoglu [Roumdja: περάν ην συκάις: Pera[n en Sykais: The Fig Field on the Other Side]: District of Istanbul, Turkey. It connects İstiklal Avenue with Sahne Street. Opened in 1876, the 19th century Cicek Pasaji can be described as a miniature version of the famous Galleria in Milan, Italy, and has rows of historic pubs, winehouses and restaurants. The site of Cicek Pasaji was originally occupied by the Naum Theatre, which was burned during the Fire of Pera in 1870. The theatre was frequently visited by Sultans Abdulaziz and Abdulhamid II, and hosted Giuseppe Verdi's play Il Trovatore before the opera houses of Paris. After the fire of 1870, the theatre was purchased by the local Greek banker Hristaki Zografos Efendi, and Italian architect Zanno designed the current building, which was called Cité de Péra or Hristaki Pasaji in its early years. Yorgo'nun Meyhanesi [Yorgo's Winehouse] was the first winehouse to be opened in the passage. In 1908 the Ottoman Grand Vizier Said Pasha purchased the building, and it became known as the Said Pasha Passage. Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, many impoverished noble Russian women, including a Baroness, sold flowers here. By the 1940s the building was mostly occupied by flower shops, hence the present Turkish name Cicek Pasaji [Flower Passage]. After the restoration of the building in 1988, it was reopened as a galleria of pubs and restaurants.The most recent restoration was made in December 2005.
Semra Tasdemir; Painting Exhibition,Beyoglu-Istanbul
Painter: Miss Semra Tasdemir
Koridor: Dar-Alan, Yapisaldan Evrensele [Corridor: Narrow-Area From Structural to Universal]
MarjinArt Gallerie is open between 02-25.04.09
Sehit Muhtar Mah. Taksim Akarcasi Sk. No: 4,
With Courtesy of Wikipedia.com. All Thanks go to Wikipedia.com
© Copyright 1999-2000-2009. http://erkankiraz.blogspot.com/. Pictures, Documents, Materials, Stories, Ottoman Archives, Turkish Republic Archives or Other Information & Knowledge in this page may not be reproduced in any form without expressed written permission from Erkan Kiraz, nor may it be sold or otherwise transferred to a third parties.
For whatever aims they could not be copied, recopied, distributed, redistributed, used or reused on any written documents, texts, undergraduate certificates, bachelor's degrees, bachelor's levels, books or in any kind of digital or electronically environments & media, either they are regarded as profit-gaining or non-profit gaining or educational purposes.