Thursday, July 29, 2010

Erkanus Kerasus Ad Via Nicaea - Erkan Kiraz On The Way Nicaea - Ερκάν Κιραζ στο δρόμο Νικαίαςi

Erkanus Kerasus Ad Via Nikaea - Erkan Kiraz On The Way Nicaea - Ερκάν Κιραζ στο δρόμο Νικαίαςi

İznik Çinisi Örnekleri-İznik © 1999-2010 Copy Righted to Erkan Kiraz All Rights Reserved.

İznik Çinisi Örnekleri-İznik © 1999-2010 Copy Righted to Erkan Kiraz All Rights Reserved.

İznik Çinisi Örnekleri-İznik © 1999-2010 Copy Righted to Erkan Kiraz All Rights Reserved.

İznik Çinisi Örnekleri-İznik © 1999-2010 Copy Righted to Erkan Kiraz All Rights Reserved.

İznik Çinisi Örnekleri-İznik © 1999-2010 Copy Righted to Erkan Kiraz All Rights Reserved.

Erkanus Kerasus Ad Via Nicaea - Erkan Kiraz On The Way Nicaea - Ερκάν Κιραζ στο δρόμο Νικαίαςi

Boyalıca []: Bursa'nın İznik ilçesine bağlı bir beldedir. 28 Mart 1989 yerel seçimlerinden sonra belde olmuştur. Boyalıca'nın ilk ne zaman yerleşim yeri olarak kullanılmaya başlandığıyla ilgili kesin bir bilgi olmamakla birlikte, Anadolu'ya gelen ilk Türkler'den bir kısmının Rumlar'ın balıkçılıkla uğraştığı bu köyde 12. yüzyıl'dan itibaren yerleşik hayata geçtiği sanılmaktadır.Bu Türkler'in Manav Türkleri olma ihtimali çok yüksektir. Bunun kanıtı şu anda beldede yaşayan halkın büyük bölümü kendilerini Manav olarak tanımlamaktadır. Daha sonraki dönemlerde ise Bulgaristan Türkleri'nden yerleşenler olmuş ve kaynaşmışlardır. 1989 yılında Bulgaristan'dan zorunlu göçe zorlanan Türkler'den bir kısmı bu beldedeki akrabalarının yanında misafir olmuştur ve o dönem belde nüfusu artmıştır. Daha sonra Bulgaristan'da yönetimin değişmesiyle büyük bölümü ülkelerine geri dönmüştür. Beldeye Osmanlılar zamanında göl kenarında bulunan yalılardan dolayı Buyalı dendiği ancak halkın şivesinde bunun Boyalı'ya dönüştüğü rivayet edilmektedir. Cumhuriyet ile beraber Beldenin adının Boyalıca olduğu bilinmektedir. Boyalıca beldesi İznik Gölünün kuzey kenarında yer alır. İznik'e 18 km. Orhangazi'ye 21 km. Bursa'ya 78 km. Yalova'ya 42 km. uzaklıktadır. Burada İznik'ten Orhangazi'ye giden yoldan, Karamürsel'e giden yol ayrılmakta olduğu için önemli bir kavşak noktasıdır. Beldenin başlıca geçim kaynağı tarımdır. Bunun büyük bölümünü de zeytincilik oluşturur.90'lı yılların başlarına kadar ipek böcekçiliği çok yaygındı. Günümüzde Beldede ipek böcekçiliği yapılmamaktadır.Ayrıca az sayıda aile hayvancılık ve balıkçılık yapmaktadır. [Teşekkürler: Wikipedia.Org; 26.07.2010, Erkan Kiraz’ın Günlükleri, Alikahya-İzmit].

Abdulvahap Tomb and Berberkaya Sarcaphagus

King Sarcophagus is placed in the not much deep valley of way through Abdulvahap Tomb. Now it was broken down probably by dynamits in hope finding treasures by Treasure Hunters. I have seen its gravure on early traveler books. Its appearance was so huge and fascinatin. The villagers and traveler were as if ants only. Not before reaching that bend of Sarcophagus there is neatly found hypoge.

On the top, Abdulvahap Tomb and grave was placed on the eastern hillside of mountain. You would never take away your eyes from nice landscape of Lake of Nicea, Nicea City and Olive Tree swarmed hills and valleys of surrounding mountains.

Hypoge [Greek: υπο: hypo: under + γενής: Genes: earth > υπογενής: Hypogeens: underearth > Fr. Hypogée > Tr. Hipoje]: Underground King Grave.

Sarcopahus [Greek: λιθος σαρκοφάγος: lithos sarkophagos > σαρξ: sarx: flesh + φαγειν: phagein: to eat > sarkophagus: flesh-eating from the phrase]: the word came to refer to the limestone that was thought to decompose the flesh of corpses interred within it.

Imren Meatball Shop-Iznik

Iznik Imren Meatball Shop Yusuf: Selcuk Mah. Iznik Lisesi Karsisi, Iznik-Bursa-Turkey.

Köfteci Yusuf İznik İmren San. Tic. Ltd. Şti.: Selçuk Mah. Atatürk Cad. No: 73, İznik-Bursa. 25.07.2010, saat 14:32, Fiş No: 26, TL 25.00. [25.07.2010, Erkan Kiraz’ın Günlükleri, Alikahya-İzmit].

A meatball is a ball of ground meat and other ingredients, such as bread or breadcrumbs, minced onion, various spices, and possibly eggs, rolled together by hand, and cooked by frying, baking, steaming, or braising in sauce. There are many kinds of meatball recipes using different kinds of meats and spices. While some meatballs are mostly made of meat and ingredients to cement the ball, others may include other ingredients. How one makes meatballs depends as much on one's cultural background as on individual taste. There are even "meatless" meatballs to satisfy vegetarian palates. From the Balkans to India, there is a large variety of meatballs in the kofta family. The ancient Roman cookbook Apicius included many meatball-type recipes.

Kofte [Meatball]: In Turkey we call it as KOFTE and spelt like Koefte. It has many different styles and kinds ranging from city to city: Inegol Kofte, Izgara Kofte, Kasap Kofte, Akcaabat Kofte, Salcali Kofte, Terbiyeli Kofte and the likes.

Sucuk [Sujuk, also soudjouk, Turkish: sucuk; Bulgarian: суджук: sujuk, Russian: суджук: sujuk Albanian: suxhuk, Romanian: sugiuc; Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian/Macedonian: sudžuka or cyџyka; sujuka: Armenian երշիկ, yershig; Arabic سجق, sujuq; Greek: σουτζούκι: soutzouki; Kyrgyz: чучук, chuchuk; Kazakh: шұжық, shuzhyq: It is a dry, spicy sausage eaten from the Balkans to the Middle East and Central Asia.. It consists of ground meat (usually beef, but in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and also in Herndon, Virginia it is made from horse meat), with various spices including cumin, sumac, garlic, salt, and red pepper, fed into a sausage casing and allowed to dry for several weeks. It can be more or less spicy; it is fairly salty and has a high fat content. Sujuk must be eaten cooked (when raw, it is very hard and stiff). It is often cut into slices and cooked without additional oil, its own fat being sufficient to fry it. At breakfast, it is used in a way similar to bacon or spam. It is fried in a pan, often with eggs, accompanied by a hot cup of sweet black tea. Sujuk also uses a meal material with haricot bean or in pastries at some regions in Turkey. In Bulgaria, raw, sliced sujuk is often served as an appetizer with rakia or other high alcoholic drinks.

Iznik Pottery & Tiles [Iznik Cinileri]

It was named after the town in western Anatolia where it was made, is highly decorated ceramics whose heyday was the late sixteenth century. The largest collection of vessels is in the British Museum and İznik tiles may be seen in quantity in the imperial and religious buildings of Istanbul.

İznik vessels were originally made in imitation of Chinese porcelain, which was highly prized by the Ottoman sultans. As Turkish potters were unable to make porcelain, the vessels are fritware, a low-fired body comprising mainly silica and glass.

The originality of the potters was such that their use of Chinese originals has been described as adaptation rather than imitation. Chinese ceramics had long been admired, collected and emulated in the Islamic world. This was especially so in the Ottoman court and the Safavid court in Persia which had important collections of Chinese blue-and-white porcelain. Such Chinese porcelains influenced the style of Safavid pottery and had a strong impact on the development of Iznik ware. By the mid-16th century, İznik had its own vocabulary of floral and abstract motifs in tight designs making use of a limited palette. Decoration progressed from pure symmetry to subtle rhythms.

From the late 15th century, red earthenware from İznik began to be replaced by a white body made of 80% silica, 10% glass frit and 10% white clay. Lead and sodium compounds were added to reduce the firing temperature. Fritware had been made in the Near East from the 13th century, but İznik fritwares, achieving a white surface, were a major innovation.

As the body was difficult to work on the wheel, due to its lack of plasticity, vessels were seldom thrown in one piece. Often they were moulded or turned.

The wares were coated with a very white slip before bisque firing. Decoration was applied underglaze on the biskued wares, the outlines pounced through a stencil. Seven colors were used in various combinations (though there are many effective İznik designs using only two, three or four colors): blue (cobalt oxide), purple (manganese), red (silica and iron oxide), green (copper oxide), turquoise, grey and black. Before 1520, İznik ware was decorated mainly in blue. From the 1520s turquoise was added. The polychrome palette developed from 1540-1560.

The wares were glazed with a lead-alkaline-tin glaze, whose composition has been found from analysis to be lead oxide 25-30%, silica 40-55%, sodium compounds 8-14% and tin oxide 4-7%. The use of tin oxide, normally employed to render glaze opaque, is surprising, but in İznik glazes it remains in solution and is transparent. Firing was done in an updraft kiln, to about 900 °C.

Jugs, hanging lamps, cups, bowls and dishes were made, inspired by metalwork and illuminated books as well as Chinese ceramics. Under Süleyman the Magnificent (1520–66), demand for İznik wares increased. Many large dishes were made with looser designs, incorporating ships, animals, trees and flowers. The dishes appear to have been made for display, as most have pierced footrings, but they have been observed also to be scratched from use. Designs in the 1520s include the saz style in which a long, serrated saz leaf, dynamically arranged, is balanced by static rosette forms. In the later 16th century, the quatre fleurs style used a repertoire of stylised tulips, carnations, roses and hyacinths.

After the conquest of Constantinople in 1453, the Ottoman sultans started a huge building programme. In these buildings, especially those commissioned by Süleyman, his wife Hürrem (Roxelana) and his Grand Vizier Rüstem Pasha, large quantities of tiles were used. The Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul (the "Blue Mosque") alone contains 20,000 tiles. The Rüstem Pasha Mosque is more densely tiled and tiles were used extensively in the Topkapı Palace. As a result of this demand, tiles dominated the output of the İznik potteries.

The decline of İznik pottery has been linked with the decline in Ottoman power and with the Sultans' imposition of fixed prices in a period of inflation. The reduction in imperial demand inevitably affected the Iznik economy and by the mid-17th century only twenty kilns remained and knowledge had been lost. The design of later İznik wares is generally regarded as weak. Fritware is still produced at Kutahya, about 200 km south of Istanbul, principally for the tourist trade and in imitation of İznik ware.

Mahmut Tschelebi Mosque [Mahmut Celebi Camii]-Iznik-Bursa

Mahmut Celebi got it built in 1442. Its square main part is covered with a single dome. The minaret is bricky. You may see remnant block stones probably taken off from The Roman Theatre or any Roman Temple. Ottomans followed suit what early East Roman Christians have done while they are building their first Basilicas and Churches by takin off valuable stone materials from all Roman Palaces, Temples, Citywalls and Theatres. On the deep down of its western wall base, one inscripted pieace of marble could be observed; it reads “Α.. ТΑУ… ω.. ΣΑΝΓ УΣΑΜ..”. On the description plate in Turkish and English said that inner sections, inner walls and nische of Imam were decorated with relieves and calligraphies, which were so precious. Enterance side of mosque, which is called as “Last Assmbly Section: Son Cemaat Yeri” is supported with some reused block marbles, stones and shaped marble pieces probably they were carved and shaped many years ago Ottomans started building this mosque. The base of mosque nowadays is so down from the street leveldue to reshaping of city and its roads and streets, each year added some cm on current earth level.

Kilns [Cini Ocaklari]-Iznik-Bursa

Cini word is taken and derived from Persian into Ottoman Language. It means potteries and ceramics made in or from China, shortly Cini stands for “Made in Chine”. Nicea had an ancient theater, called as The Roman Theatre, built at between the lake and Yenisehir Gate. It was built by the Proconsul of Bythinia, Plinius, in 112. By the 13th century, it was turned into a mass grave. Archaeological excavations have revealed that a church, palace, Ottoman ceramic workshops and tile kilns were constructed within it. However to the eastern section of Mahmut II Hammam there unearthed an huge area as original Kilns.

Iznik Hammams or Turkish Bathes-Bursa

Murat II. Hammam aka Haci Hamza Hammam [Turkish Bath]: The bath is located next to the Mahmut Celebi Mosque built in the 15th century. It is also called as Murat II. Bath. There are two different sections for Women and Men, and Men Section is still being used.

Meydan Hammam: The other name of the bath is Murat I. Bath. It dates back to the 14th century. The bath has two sections of Women & Men.

Ismail Bey Hammam: It dates back to the late 14th and the early 15th centuries. With its interior architecture, it is an outstanding structure. The bath, covered with four domes, has five sections.

Firuze Tiles & Pottery Workshop-Iznik

Erkanus Kerasus Ad Via Nikaea - Erkan Kiraz On The Way Nicaea - Ερκάν Κιραζ στο δρόμο Νικαίαςi.

Firuze Çini Atölyesi: Mahmet Çelebi Mahallesi, Ayasofya Arkası, II. Murat Hamamı, Kadınlar Bölümü, İznik-Bursa. Tel: +90-224-757 73 73, Gsm: +90-532-468 47 04, Email:,

St. Sophie Church & Iznik Orthodox Churches Remnants-Bursa

The Church of Hagia Sophia [Greek: Αγίας Σοφία - Αγία Σοφία, In full Greek: Ναός της Aγίας του Θεου Σοφίας: Naos hagios Tou Theou Sophias: Church of the Holy Wisdom of God, Latin: Sancta Sophia & Turkish: Ayasofya: Holy Thought or Holy Wisdom > Aya Sofya Kilisesi > Aya Sofya Camisi > Aya Sofya Muzesi]: The highlight for religious travelers and historians are the ruins of the 4th-century St. Sophia Cathedral, the site of the Second Council of Nicea. It is located in the town center. Renamed Orhan Ghazi Mosque in 1331 and badly damaged by earthquake and fire, the building was restored by the famous architect Sinan in the 16th century. The ceiling of Haghia Sophia has collapsed but much still remains. On the wall of a grave room is a fresco of Christ and there are surviving mosaic pavements on the floor. Nowadays it was restored and reopened as museum for travelers.

Within old downtown and around it there are some other Greek Orthodox Churches either were restored or under ruins such as below. I had not any chance taking some snapshots of them other than St. Sophie Church. Also there left back an Holy Water Spring called as Bocek Ayazma.

Bocek Ayazma [Greek: Αγία: Hagia: Holy, Sacred + μός - μα: Ma: Water > Hagiaμός: αγιασμός – αγίασμα > Turkish: Ayazma; Bug Holy Water Spring]: Being one of the intact remains from the 6th century, the structure is thought to have been a part of Hyakinthos Monastery [Yάκινθος]. This circular structure, having been covered with a dome, is next to the Koimesis Church.

The Church of Dormition of the Virgin [Greek: κοιμησις της Θεοτόκου εκκλησία: Koimesis Tes Theotokou Eklesia: Sleeping Place of The Virgin Mary Church > Bakire Meryem’in Uyku Kilisesi]: The Church of the Koimesis Theotokou in English Dormition of the Virgin which essentially means the "death of the virgin Mary", her falling asleep. Bishop Hyakinthos had it built in the 8th century. It is supposed to have been a part of Hyakinthos Monastery. It was fully demolished by the earthquake in 1065, and later on it was renovated by additions. The mosaics and icons of the Church were renovated again in 1807.

The Church of Hagios Tryphonos [Greek: Αγίας Τρύφωνος εκκλησία: Hagia Eklesia: Turkish: Aya Trifonos Kilisesi > Üç Kutsal Ses Kilisesi]: It is located on the left side of the street towards Istanbul Kapi [Constantinople Gate]. The cross shaped church has four columns. The wall technique and the cross-shaped plan of the church indicate that it was a Byzantine work having been built between the 10th and 12nd centuries.

The Church of Ayatrifon [Greek: Αγία Τρύφωνος εκκλησία: Hagia Eklesia: Turkish: Aya Trifonos Kilisesi > Uc Kutsal Ses Kilisesi]: Supposed to have been built by Teodoros Laskaris [Θεόδωρος Λάσκαρις: Theodoros Laskaris] in the name of Aya Trinos [Αγίας τρινος] in 13th century, the church is located on the right side of the street leading to the Yenisehir Gate. Its plan is similiar to the one used in Kariye Mosque [Chora Church] in Istanbul. It is understood from the plan that it was covered with a huge dome, and its floor is decorated with beautiful mosaics.

Theodoros I Komnenos Laskaris [Greek: Θεόδωρος Α' Λάσκαρις, Theodōros I. Laskaris, circa 1174/1175-1221/August, 1222]: He was Emperor of Nicaea [1204-1221 or 1205-1222]..

© Copyright 1999-2000-2009. Pictures, Documents, Materials, Stories, Ottoman Archives, Turkish Republic Archives or Other Information & Knowledge in this page may not be reproduced in any form without expressed written permission from Erkan Kiraz, nor may it be sold or otherwise transferred to a third parties.

For whatever aims they could not be copied, recopied, distributed, redistributed, used or reused on any written documents, texts, undergraduate certificates, bachelor's degrees, bachelor's levels, books or in any kind of digital or electronically environments & media, either they are regarded as profit-gaining or non-profit gaining or educational purposes.

© 1999-2009 Copy Righted to Erkan Kiraz All Rights Reserved.
Erkan Kiraz, Email: provides all those stories at,, &